Saturday, November 14, 2009

November 14, 2009

Johnny,

Mickey, Jackie and I came to see you this afternoon. You were having therapy with your OT. It was the first time this lady has worked with you and I know you were feeling like I was...it's like you have to train the new people every time. I wanted to say...STOP! Just let me do it!!! After your therapy was over, I gave you pudding and coke at your request. I tinted the pudding blue and after you ate, I suctioned you...no blue! That's great! Mickey was dying to take you outside, it was so pretty today. We got your sweat pants on you and got you in the chair and headed out back. The last time we went out back, I got ate up with mosquitoes...through my shirt and on my back...isn't that an odd place to get bit. Anyway, I was worried that I might have the same fate but Mickey assured me that it would be fine. Don't tell him this, but he was right! We took you outside and you and Mickey pointed out doves and then a lonely squirrel came out to taunt us...I would get close enough to focus the camera and then off he'd go!




When we went inside, I asked you if you wanted to go out front or back to bed. You said out front. We found a shady area (not that hard to do, the trees are huge). Jackie started climbing the tree and chasing these two squirrels. You were very alert watching her. It was really sweet.



Jackie took a few Daddy breaks in between climbing the tree and chasing the squirrels.



After a while, Mickey told me that he thought you were ready to go inside. So, I told Jackie to get out of the tree so we could go inside. She didn't listen to me. So, Mickey told her, "Jackie your daddy is ready to go inside, come on". Well, you were listening because you pointed at her and did your finger in the come here motion. I wanted to laugh, it was funny...but why was it funny, you are her daddy! I think that I'm just so thrilled with every single little thing you do. I know your in there and I know it's just a matter of time! I have faith! Which leads me to the next story...the nurses aid you had today is precious! I don't remember her name but she is so good to you!! She told me today that she is so proud of you. She has a grandson that is 18 now but had an accident when he was 14 and it was a traumatic brain injury. He's 18 years old but mentally he is compared to a 7 month old. She said that he is the happiest boy but that they are unable to communicate with him. She said that her family would give anything to be able to communicate with him the way that you communicate with us. I was sad for her and it made me realize just how common TBI is and how many times I've taken my own brain for granted. I know Cody's had several concussions through sports and just being a boy and I never even knew that TBI could happen to him. With Thanksgiving coming up sooner than we think, I just want to say that I'm so thankful that the Lord spared you and that no matter how hard the climb for you, I will be there every step of the way. I am so very proud of you and if this accident of yours has taught me anything, it's how much I love you and what's really important.

Love you so much little brother!! xo Jen

Email from Valerie:
I know everyone is expressing their appreciation for you keeping us updated with the blog. I love your stories and your details. I just wanted to share with you that I can't sleep and I'm sitting at my computer doing my daily "Johnny blog" and those pictures of Johnny with Jackie are priceless along with the story of him pointing at her. It makes me cry! Jenn, he has come so far and he couldn't have done it without your support. You and Nancy (and I'm sure others) have cared for him in a way that most families wouldn't or couldn't! It makes me not only love Johnny more but you and Nancy for giving up everything to take care of him!

I love you,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment